20 August 2005

Final party of the year tonight at Abisko Naturvetenskapliga. The theme: Abisko World Championship Sporting Games - Defend Your Nations Honour. My nations honour?

Aside from my boss who was with us for two weeks on Svalbard, I've met no other Americans. I've unwillingly assumed a diplomatic role. Deploring our deplorable actions, trying to remind, in the most unobtrussive manner possible, that most Americans don't support current international politics. Hinting that there are still a lot of great things going on in America, things beyond our controversial role internationally. I'm also hyper aware of how things I do and say can fuel or breakdown prejuidice. A cumbersome responsibility.

And sometimes I just can't play diplomat anymore and I find myself on the defensive. Criticisms directed at America, or America's foreign policy have started to feel like personal attacks. It's the strangest emotion. The first time I remember feeling defensive for my country was when I was a kid and my family had a young Swiss woman over for dinner. She commented that is was funny how we display our flag so much, especially after all the bad things we've done as a nation. My parents were understanding and encouraging. I felt like telling her she was not invited to stay for desert. That evening I wrote in my journal that we might not be proud of everything that America has done in the past, but that we are proud of the progress we've made, of the good things (and they are many) that we have done. Most of all we are hopeful of what we'll become, so why not fly a flag to proclaim that? My analogy was of a person who goes through life confidently, making mistakes like we all do, but learning from them and becoming a better person for it.

After this summer I'm just plain fed-up with anti-Americanism. Well thought out political critique I understand and welcome. Blatant, derisive sentiments directed at American people or culture I have lost my ability to tolerate, even if said in jest.

The other day I was discussing the Commonwealth Games with a British girl. She'd been taking wanton jabs at America for weeks and I was feeling vengeful.

(discussing world championship swimming records)
British Girl: We have Commonwealth records, from the Commonwealth games. All former British territories participate, well, except the US.

Me: (innocently) Oh, so you mean like for all those poor African nations you raped and pillaged for hundreds of years?

BG: (turning an angry red) Well, I guess America is having it's day as the evil empire...

Me: (wryly) So there is hope, then, that America will lose it's clout and become another washed-up, snivelling nation like Britian, with nothing left but the shards of a dying legacy?

BG: (giving me two middle fingers) What-ever.

Revenge is still sweet, even if it's not politically correct.