19 July 2005

78 degrees north, and some odd minutes. On the globe I found we're the bit that's under the black plastic piece at the top.

Here are some webcams in and around Longyearbyen, one of 5 settlements on the archipelago. I hesistate to post them, because they aren't all that flattering. I guess in a place surrounded by wilderness webcams of dreary, industrial areas are a sight for sore eyes. They do, however, accurately reflect the weather, which is at all times cloudy, foggy, windy, misting rain, and spotted occasionally by snow.

I have lots of thoughts about the place and our work here, but overwhelming my thought process is dominated by this mantra: "Is it over yet?" It's always the same for me, starting halfway through every field job I've ever had, and continuing to increase in intensity until it's finally over. And still I look through my USA Jobs agents and get excited about jobs like one in the Laysan islands, Hawaii, protecting endangered endemic plant species. The following was listed in the job description:

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS: Applicants should seriously consider their ability to work independently, under extremely remote and harsh field conditions for periods of up to several months in succession. Contact to the outside world is possible only through short-wave radio and occasional aircraft and ship deliveries. Since travel to the islands is by small boat, and at times in high surf conditions, the possibility of capsize exists. These factors are strict requirements for this position.


It's still open if anyone's interested in applying. I think I'm going to pass this time.

Not much time at this internet conection. I'll save more thoughts for when I'm back in Sweden in August. Right now I'm late for dinner and a swim, the world's northernmost pool(indoor of course!)

P.S. No polar bears yet, but we're ready with our signal pens, flare gun, and rifle should one turn up.